No More Petroleum Jelly: What You Need to Know About the 8 Best Natural Alternative
It is important to remember that all of these are natural alternatives and not a replacement for medical treatment.
Why you should stop using petroleum jelly 🥴
Petroleum jelly can have devastating effects on the environment, animals, and humans.
Petroleum jelly, soft paraffin, like Vaseline, are made from hydrocarbons.
The most common hydrocarbons found in petroleum jelly include: pentane, hexane, heptane, octane and nonane. These hydrocarbons can cause serious health problems such as: liver cancer and respiratory difficulties when they enter your body through inhalation or ingestion.
If you are not careful with the application of petroleum jelly, it will leave a greasy film that will accumulate in your lungs and create mucus buildup.
Vaseline is a petroleum product. Petroleum products are not natural ingredients and can have a negative impact on the skin. Vaseline may clog the pores and prevent skin from breathing, which can lead to acne.
Can I just say, it was probably exciting, useful product introduced in the late 1870’s but that was over 250 years ago people! Our world has changed, our needs and the way we view sustainability has greatly changed.
We don’t consider Vaseline a sustainable or ethical product to use. Many people think it is natural and environmentally friendly but this is not the case. Vast amounts of petroleum and natural gas are used to produce Vaseline, making it a non-renewable resource.
Lastly, anyone give me a reason why you SHOULD keep using Petroleum Jelly? I usually hear crickets…
Reasons on the block to validate the use of the ol’ Vaso or Petroleum Jelly:
- Remove make up
- Cover you skin when swimming inside shark cage in the Bass strait.
- Chapped lips and nose from snowboarding in winter.
- Tattooing skin.
- Keep hair dye off skin.
I hear those needs are hard weird unique ones that need some SUPER HERO SOLUTION...
What are the 8 Best Petroleum Jelly Alternatives?
8 Best Natural Alternatives:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar - It is used as a natural antibiotic on cuts and scrapes.
2. Garlic - It has been used for centuries as a natural antibiotic and can be eaten raw or taken in supplements.
3. Turmeric - This spice is known as the "golden spice" because it has so many beneficial properties such as acting as an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and pain reliever.
4. Unrefined Coconut Oil - This oil can be applied topically or ingested to help with skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, and it can also help with weight loss by suppressing appetite and controlling.
5. Jojoba Oil - is a viscous liquid. Ready to go. Mullet hero oil to be used as a skin moisturiser, hair & beard moisturiser and easily solve the problem of make up removal. As a non-comedogenic, it won’t clog pores.
6. Cocoa butter - (Theobroma Oil Extract) is used in the primary product of Chocolate, smells incredible, it melts when it hits your skin. Full of natural polyphenol and flavonoid antioxidants it is skin conditioning, paired for healing dry, sensitive skin.
You can get it in your health food store. There are a huge ranges of Cocao butters that are ethical sourced and fair-trade.
7. Shea Butter - is another really thick conditioning lipid (oil), but once melted can but be thick moisturising fun. Paired perfected for chapped lips and other areas of the skin that need nourishment & protecting.
Rich in vitamins A, E and F, Shea butter can help to reduce skin inflammation.
8. Extra Virgin Olive Oil - has been around longer than any Petro-chemical. So let’s get old school. Choose an organic, cold pressed, Non-GMO if you’re going to get this one right. Contains Vitamin E for skin repair, prevent ageing, skin hydration, reduce damage from free radicals.
& goes without saying (but I’m going to say it!)
BONUS 9. Cannabis Sativa seed oil & Mangifera Indica Seed Butter.
Cannabis Sativa seed oil has been shown to be effective for relieving itching or dryness of skin.
The best alternative that one can have is the Cannabis Sativa seed oil which is full of Omega-3 fatty acids. It doesn't clog pores and has a light, non-greasy texture.
This is why we chose this as a super hero ingredient in our Tatt Wax.
Mangifera Indica Seed Butter is also known as mango butter and it is moisturising and nourishing for all types of skin types.
Make the Switch Today to Sustainable & Safe Products that are more than easy to find in health food stores and some super markets.